RAISING UP THE NEXT GENERATION OR PARENTING WITH THE NEXT GENERATION IN MIND
Today’s adults were the children of yesterday. Today’s children are the adults of tomorrow.
As parents God has committed the ministry of raising up the future generation into our hands
God‘s instruction to us as parents is this Deut 6: 6-7.
Nobody is exempted from this divine instruction: This is because we are either parent directly or indirectly.
Facts about the present Generation and Prediction about the next generation
Four facts about parenting
1. Children are a blessing, not a hardship Ps 127
2. Parenting is supposed to be a joy not a burden Pro 10: 1, 23: 24 – 25, 23: 7
3. Success in parenting is measured by what the parents do, not by what the child does. Josh 1:7-9.
4. A child’s most important influence should come from parents and not peers. Deut 4: 9, 6:4–7, Josh 20:24, 2Tim 1:5.
GODLY PARENTING: THE MEANING
It is using godly principles to nurture, and nourish and raise up a child for God.
Those godly principles are derived from the bible. Those principles include:
7. Hard work
9. And etc.
According to one time American president it impossible to govern a nation without God and the bible
It is impossible to raise a godly child without God and the word of God (Bible)
Note America’s Experience after the 1st world war.
Parenting or child raising is the process of promoting and supporting the physical emotional social, financial and intellectual development of a child from infancy to adulthood.
Christian vision for godly parenting
1. To produce children who are excellent mentally, socially, spiritually and yet uniquely / radically different from the children of this world. Pro 12: 26
2. To produce children who are not only converted but who are actually involved in the advancement of the kingdom of God as change agents. Is 8: 18.
3. To produce children that are bonded together first of all with their own biological siblings and secondly with the body of Christ as a whole.
4. To produce children that are properly discipled and thoroughly equipped for the work of the ministry as replacement sons.
5. To produce children who will in turn reproduce themselves in a third generation. 2 Tim 2:2
Three types of parents
1. Biological parents
2. Foster parents: A Foster parent is someone who agrees to bring up a child and care for him/her though he is not the biological parent or adopted parent.
3. Adopted parents
4. Spiritual parents – Your pastor/Spiritual leader/Discipler
The challenge of parenting today’s children
1. The challenge of our time. The upside down world
2. The challenge of post modernity
3. The challenge of Apostasy. The challenge of Apostasy church
4. The challenge of multi-media (ICT)
5. The challenge of worship / music
6. Peer group pressure
7. The challenge of economic down turn and political disorientation
HOW THEN DO WE PARENT OUR CHILDREN IN THE WAY OF GOD?
i. Different styles of parenting:
a. Authoritarian parent: They govern their children by rules and regulations. They do not permit discussions rather they rule by decrees.
b. Permissive parenting. I Sam 3:13: They indulge their children.
c. Democratic parenting. This involves treating children as equals. Parents treat their kids with respect and dignity. Children here are given choices and are made responsible for their choices.
d. Authoritative parenting. They combine democracy plus Discipline. Here parents discuss and explain rules to their children. They have their say in all decisions but the parents have the way.
e. Un-Involved parenting: Here parents provide the basic needs but not are involved.
ii. Principles of effective parenting
a. Principle of Reverential fear of God
b. Principle of care and love
c. Principle of discipline/discipleship in love
d. Principle of training according to developmental differences
i. 9 – 20mth
ii. 20mths – 3 yrs
iii. 4 – 6yrs
iv. 7 – 12yrs
v. 13 – 19 yrs
vi. 20 – 30yrs
vii. 30 – Above
Conclusion and Prayers